- This event has passed.
Exploring Cold Wax & Oil Painting | Weekend Workshop with Laurie Skantzos
November 13, 2021 @ 11:00 am - November 14, 2021 @ 4:00 pmCAD$250.00
2 DAY WORKSHOP | Saturday November 13 & Sunday November 14, 2021 | 11AM – 4PM
We are so happy to welcome Guelph artist Laurie Skantzos back with us for an inspiring weekend workshop in our classroom! This course will appeal to painters of any level, who wish to deepen or rekindle their relationship to their inner muse.
Laurie will be giving instruction in layering, scraping back, using solvent reductions, adding pastels, stamps and stencils and experimenting with a variety of tools such as brayers, clay modeling tools and squeegies to create beautifully rich surfaces.
Demonstrations using oil and cold wax, along with a variety of implements, will assist you in your own personal exploration.
Over two days, Laurie will venture deeper into your painting process to develop personal expression in a safe, non-judgmental and playful space.
$250/weekend workshop plus HST
$20 kit fee is payable in cash to the instructor at the start of class.
The following materials are provided: Bowl scrapers, variety of tools, Gamblin Cold Wax Medium, Gamblin Odourless Solvent, Tissue Paper, Newsprint
Students are asked to bring the following material list:
- Oil paints (variety of colours)
- Palette knives (at least one but feel free to try different shapes and sizes)
- Rigid surfaces such as cradled panel, plywood or masonite (with 2 coats of gesso)
- Arches Oil Paper (One or two full sheets or a pad) or Canvas Paper
- Creative Catalyst Wedge (straight edge – beige). This is sold at Wyndham Art Supply or Curry’s and/or Messermeister Bowl Scraper from Amazon
- Masking Tape
- Roll of Paper Towel
- Brushes (we won’t use many, but feel free to bring some)
- Wax Paper
- Palette for mixing
There will be a short break both Sat. and Sun. for lunch, so it is recommended that you bring a bag lunch and water bottle.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols:
- If classes are cancelled for any reason due to public health concerns, refunds will be given in full.
- Proof of Covid-19 double vaccination is required to attend the workshop, in accordance with the Province of Ontario and our local Public Health unit.
- To ensure the health and safety of staff and participants, the ECFTA will have a limited the number of registrants in accordance with WDPH recommendations. Daily cleaning and social distancing will be in place to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Please note: Participants will be asked to complete a Covid Liability Waiver, and provide proof of vaccination along with one piece of photo ID.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About the Instructor:
Laurie’s abstract and semi-abstract painting is largely inspired by the natural world and filtered through her inner landscape. She studied fine art at the University of Waterloo and her work is displayed in galleries throughout Ontario. She regularly participates in shows such as the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition and International Affordable Art Fairs with Spence Gallery. Laurie’s work is included in private and public collections across North America, Europe and Asia. She works from her home studio in Guelph Ontario.
Laurie also teaches six week sessions at the Guelph School of Art and a week long intensive during the summer at the Wellington County Museum. She offers private and semi-private classes in her home studio. The focus is on building a visual vocabulary of tools and techniques while further establishing each participant’s unique voice.