Call for Student Artists: Planet Youth #therealselfieproject in support of youth mental health
THIS PROGRAM IS ON HOLD DUE TO COVID-19.
PLANET YOUTH 2020 presents #therealselfieproject in support of youth mental health
This is a student art outreach and gallery show at the Elora Centre for the Arts, featuring selected work from elementary and high school students from across the community (JK-grade 12).
The deadline for submission is Monday May 4, 2020 at 7PM.
Stage 1: Reflection
Students are asked to spend some time reflecting before they begin their project. What makes you unique? How do you see yourself? Where are you when you are your best self? What does your healthiest self look like? What is the good and the not-so-good parts of yourself? Is there an experience that you’ve had that best describes you? It might be helpful to write down your thoughts and see where your writing takes you.
Stage 2: The Project
Once you have come up with some ideas about yourself, consider if you will show one side of yourself, two sides or all sides. Consider if you will present your creation as a self portrait, landscape (a place where you get recharged and feel your best), abstract (using colour and shape to express), collage (multi-media), sculpture or photograph.
Stage 3: Artist Thoughts
Upon completion of the project, student artists are asked to write and reflect on the outcome of their creation (knowing that what you initially started out with as your plan may have evolved and changed). Artists can answer one or more of the following questions – What have you learned about yourself? What side of yourself are you showing and why? How can you encourage others through your portrayal of yourself?
DATES AND DEADLINES
- Submission deadline to Elora Centre for the Arts: Monday May 4, 2020 at 7PM
- Jury selection and selection of submitted projects will take place May 5-7, 2020
- Photography submissions must be provided on memory stick (will be returned, please put your name on it) or emailed in high resolution jpeg format to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- All other submissions must be dropped off to the Elora Centre for the Arts in person prior to the deadline.
- All submissions must be labelled with YOUR NAME, NAME OF PIECE, EMAIL ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER.
- Opening reception for ALL artists (anyone who submitted work, plus selected exhibition artists) – friends, family and community are invited on Saturday May 23 from 2-4PM. Admission is free.
- Exhibition will run from May 23 – June 21, 2020
A teacher’s guide and overview can be viewed/downloaded here.